Sunday, December 13, 2015

Talk is Chic - interview with Dora Sasu


When I first began this special interest fashion blog, it was merely to use as a creative outlet. A platform through which I could share my thoughts & interests without reservations... aaah, the perks of self publishing! As my blog's 1st Birthday rolled on by, a burgeoning of opportunities and life changing experiences have changed the way I see the world and my place in it. My last project was to help a local non-profit put together a fundraising Fashion Show. The "4th Annual Fashion Show and Silent Auction", benefiting DOC IT Foundation.







The goal was to raise funding for the Ovarian Cancer research project currently underway at the FIU School of Medicine, as well as other DOC IT projects. While helping DOC IT put together their event, I got to meet some pretty talented local fashion designers. One such designer I had the pleasure of meeting was Dora Sasu, she is a local Romanian born fashion designer, that is going against the grain of mass production and instead giving her customers the Art of Couture.




I recently had the pleasure of interviewing the designer. She is so poised and refined, like most European women, that I admit I was a little nervous in the beginning. But she was so easy to talk to that my fears quickly melted away and it felt more like a conversation with an old friend.


Let's go to the very beginning, looking back, what or who do you think influenced you as a child that led you to this world of Fashion Design? 
I think I was born with a love for fashion, but my biggest  influence was my grandmother, she was a very elegant woman, very feminine. As a little girl I watched my grandmother making things with her sewing machine and that's when I fell in love with the production process.

How long have you been designing?
A long time (laughs), I remember playing with my dolls as a little girl but I didn't like the clothes that they came with. That's when I began to make new clothes for them. My grandmother felt I was too young to use her sewing machine so I would ask my mother to keep my  grandmother busy while I would sneak into my grandmother's sewing room but her sewing machine was so loud (laughs) I tried to sew as fast as I could to not get caught. So I had to teach myself to sew by hand and by the time I was 12 I was altering my own clothes, recycling old fabric to create my own unique style. Once I turned 15, I acquired my first sewing machine. I remember it was an old sewing machine but I loved it! I used it to alter and make clothes for my classmates.  So I have been doing this for quite some time.



Did you attend Design School on your journey to becoming a Fashion Designer? 
No, I grew up in Romania and at that time I didn't think it was a career where I could make money in. So while in Romania, I chose to major in Business Administration and Economics. Although I chose to study Economics, all I wanted to do was to create fashion. I remember sewing my garments by hand under the desk, during classes, or at work during the slow times at this office job I had.

When did you arrive to the States from Romania?
I arrived four years ago.


How did that happen? What made you decide to move across the globe?
When I was a little girl I used to fantasize that I lived in a tropical paradise with palm trees and all. This was before I even knew Miami existed! After College I felt that I could not turn my back to my passion anymore and decided to go somewhere that would provide me the opportunity to grow and pursue my dreams. That's when I hopped on a plane and came to Miami.




What was your biggest personal challenge and how did you overcome that?
My biggest challenge was my fear of failure, especially in a foreign country so far away from my family. But after a series of books I read and self help courses, I learned to deal with it and decided that the fear of regretting that I never tried, was bigger than my fear of failure. And now I truly believe there is no such thing as failing, except if you stop trying.

Is there an Era in Fashion or style  that moves you or inspires you? 
I love Modern styles with a strong European influence. 

When did you officially launch Dora Sasu Couture?
I officially launched this Summer 2015. 



Tell me about the design process. Do you begin with a sketch?
I don't feel a need to sketch all the time, I know what the details are, I can see them in my mind. But it all begins with the fabric, that is what ultimately inspires me. I love to go to the textile shops and feel the fabric, I close my eyes and I picture the design in my mind. Then I make each piece by hand until the dress is completely finished. Even if I were to recreate a dress, they would both be slightly different to keep each one unique. 

Wow! So you do everything yourself by hand? That's a painstaking process.
Yes, but I love it. As my business grows I know there will come a time where I will need to seek additional help for production but until that day I will enjoy every minute of it. I don't think I will ever completely stop, I love the process too much. There is something so wonderful about creating a beautiful one of a kind garment with your own hands. It's an Art.



What is your favorite type of fabric?
My favorite is silk and lace! 

Where do you see Dora Sasu Couture in 5 years? Any plans for expansion?
Yes of course, I see myself opening up my first store within the next 5 years and continue to grow. But my main goal is to present in New York Fashion Week.

If you could describe your brand in 3 words, what would they be?
I would have to say...Elegant, Sexy and Edgy. 

What would you say is your company's mission?
What I want most is to create a multidimensional line of dresses that celebrates the complexities of women. I believe that women are not just either or; we can be elegant, we can be sexy and we can also be quirky, a complex woman is never boring, she is unique and interesting in every way.





Do you have any other projects in mind?
I do, I love to help and join causes whenever I get a chance. I was raised by a single mother, so I'm a big advocate especially when it comes to things relating to women and children. I have a project in mind but i'm not ready to disclose it, it's still in the planning process, but i'm very excited about it.

What were the last two events where you showcased your collection and when?
The RAW Artists show which was on November 6. 
Before that was the "4th Annual Fashion Show and Silent Auction" on November 5th for DOC IT Foundation

Where can I find your designs at this time?
Right now i'm focusing on catering to my customers by providing them with a private one on one experience. So right now it's by appointment only.


Do you have an online website where I can see more of your work?
Yes, right now it's still a work in progress but i'm really excited that it will be up next year. 






Armed with a passion for the production process and handmade details, Dora Sasu is determined to go against the grain of mass production and, instead, provide her clients with the Art of Couture

Find Dora Sasu on Social Media

                                                                
www.dorasasu.com


I am truly blessed to have the opportunity to meet such a talented local designer with a heart for philanthropy. For more stories about Fashion on a Mission, subscribe here!

Think Posh . Speak Life . Inspire Miami







5 comments:

  1. A very impressive and lovely blog. WOW ...nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Sarah Michel! You just made my day :)

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I forget how people dream about coming to Miami. I got to enjoy being here more lol. What a great interview! She's a brave one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Kat, it's crazy to think there's people out there dreaming of seeing the palm trees and beaches I take for granted. Dora sure is a brave & inspiring young woman, then again, that's the type of people that Miami attracts. The brave ones willing to take a risk for a little slice of paradise.

      Delete
  3. Very nice and informative blog. we are a Rajputi boutique in Indore and Udaipur. We have unique collection of all wedding accessories for men and women.

    ReplyDelete