Thursday, September 24, 2015

Emma Watson and the He for She Campaign

"For the record...


"Feminism by definition is the Belief that men and women should have Equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes."




You guys remember Emma Watson who played 
Hermione Granger in Harry Potter...right?
 I mean, come on, it's Harry Potter?! 
Well, turns out this talented and seriously Elegant 
young Woman has now added another title to her resume. 
She is the UN Goodwill Ambassador for the He For She campaign.

She's an advocate for gender equality in her own right, and has been involved with the promotion of girls education for several years. As part of her humanitarian efforts, she has visited BangladeshZambia, and most recently Uruguay on her first mission with UN women.

 Don't you just love it when you see such a young woman stepping up and not only exuding Empowerment, 
but aspiring to Inspire it in others?!

It gives me shivers!!
 So I immediately took to my trusty Google 
to find out more about this campaign and what I found, 
I was not expecting. 

Related image
"Men...Gender equality is your issue too."
   "Because to date, i've seen my father's role as a         parent being valued less by society despite my        needing his presence just as much as my mothers.               I've seen young men, suffering from                      mental illness...unable to ask for help            for fear it would make them...less of a man."



"In fact, in the UK...suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20 to 49 years old. I've seen men made  fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes as male success. The sad reality is that, Men don't have the benefits of equality either."


"We don't often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes...but I can see that they are....and that when they are free...things will change for women as a natural consequence."


 "If men don't have to be aggressive in order to be accepted,  women won't feel compelled to be submissive. If men don't have to controlwomen won't have to be controlled."


"Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong."

"It is time that we all perceive gender on a spectrum instead of two opposing ideals." 

"My life is a sheer privilege ...because my parents didn't love me less because I was born a daughter. My school didn't limit me...because I was a girl. My mentors didn't assume I would go less far...because I would give birth to a child one day."

"These influences were the gender equality ambassadors that made me who I am today.They may not know it, but they are the inadvertent feminists who are changing the world today."

"We need more of those. And if you still hate the                 word, it is not the word that's important. It's the idea and the ambition behind it."

"If you believe in equality, you might be one of those inadvertent feminists I spoke of earlier and for that I applaud you. We are struggling for a united word, but the good news is we have a united movement. I am inviting you to step forward and be seen; and to ask yourself....

...If not me...who?

"If not now...when?"


So here's the video of Emma Watson's speech which i'll admit, totally made me shed a tear or two...You guys have to watch it! Let me know what you think!



Emma Watson at the He For She Campaign 2014  
Official UN Video 


The "He For She" campaign is the first campaign of it's kind. Mainly because it's the first to extend their hand in solidarity to galvanize as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for change. They don't just want to talk about it, but instead, make it tangible. If you would like to take the pledge, 
you can do so at this time by visiting 
http://www.heforshe.org/#take-action 
and download the Action kit. And don't forget to spread the word! Go on...take a Selfie, and remember to use the hashtag #HeForShe to see your post on their official website.



In the meantime, here are some creative ways Fashion is bringing awareness for Gender Equality and participating in the He For She movement!

Karl Lagerfeld created Boulevard Chanel No.5   and staged a street protest lead by Cara Delevingne with a stylish quilted megaphone.












Joseph Gordon-Levitt on a Man's perspective on Feminism 
and what it means to him.
And the last thing I would like to share with you today is some music. Something to Inspire you, to view the He For She movement and Feminism as a whole in an Empowering new way. To Inspire you to decide to sew your Superwoman capes and let your colors fly. To say, I'm a Woman who loves the Men in my life. I'm a Woman, a Human being who is not afraid to be Vulnerable and Strong all at the same time, and the Men in my life Deserve the same.

We CAN Overcome Social Inequality
Let's face it, every movement needs a Theme song....




No comments:

Post a Comment